Guide to Renting

Home / Renting / Guide to Renting

Tenant Lease Information


Moving out?

If you are planning on moving out, you need to advise us. Simply go to tenant forms on this website and click on vacate notice, fill out your details and vacate date online.

Maintenance / Repair request?

If you have urgent or routine repairs that need to be carried out on a property you are renting from Carrington, simply go to tenant forms and fill out the request maintenance form.

If the property you are leasing requires maintenance, or other attention, please complete the following form detailing the nature of the problem and its severity.


Frequently asked questions:


What happens at the end of the fixed term of the lease?

The fixed-term agreement is a defined period of the tenancy which is written into your lease. This is usually 6 or 12 months but the parties can agree to have a tenancy agreement for any length of time. When the fixed-term period ends the tenancy agreement does not end unless it is terminated by the tenant or the landlord.

How much notice must be given when I plan to vacate the property?

  • In the last 14 days of the fixed-term period of the agreement, either party can give 14 days notice to end the tenancy. This notice can be served up to and including the last day of the fixed term.
  • Once the fixed-term period has ended you are required to give at least 21 days notice.
  • The landlord or agent must give you at least 60 days notice.
  • If there is a breach of the tenancy agreement, a notice period of 14 days applies. If the landlord wants to sell the premises, you may be asked to vacate the premises by the time the sale is finalised. The landlord must give you at least 30 days written notice (after the contracts of sale have been entered into). This only applies after the fixed term has ended.

What do I do if I want to break my lease?

Should you wish to break your tenancy agreement you must pay rent until the property is relet to a suitable tenant or until the end of the tenancy agreement, whichever is sooner. You must also pay for reasonable lessor compensation costs (normally equal to the two weeks rent or as otherwise agreed) and advertising costs expended by the office in the process of securing a new tenant’

What happens if the landlord defaults on their mortgage?

If your landlord is unable to pay back their loan on the property you are renting, the mortgagee will usually want possession. This may mean you have to move out, even during a fixed-term agreement.

How to avoid problems:

  • if you receive a notice of a Tribunal hearing you should always attend
  • make sure you have read and understood the tenancy agreement before you sign it
  • take good care of the premises
  • do not interfere with the peace, comfort or privacy of your neighbours
  • confirm anything you agree to in writing and send your agent a copy
  • keep paying the rent even if you are having a dispute with the landlord.

Contents Insurance

It is the tenants responsibility to insure their own belongings and furniture. We strongly recommend you take out contents insurance to protect against burglary and theft

Routine Inspections

Our office will carry out periodic inspections on the property to ascertain the condition of the property and necessary maintenance requirements. (7 days written notice will be given to you on all occasions). This inspection also provides an opportunity for you to point out any problems or maintenance that you think may be necessary.

Maintenance / Repairs

Should your rental property suffer any damage or require repairs you must contact our office. For all general repairs complete a repair request form and we will make appropriate arrangements. Repairs should only be instigated by a tenant if a genuine emergency problem occurs outside of office hours. Please see your Residential Tenancy Agreement of Renting Guide Booklet to check what constitutes an emergency repair.


Carrington Real Estate offers a number of convenient methods to pay your rent including Quick rent (BPay), Bank cheque, money order or personal cheque. It is your responsibility to pay rent in advance. Should you not be able to pay rent by the due date you must contact your property manager. Please remember our landlords have financial commitments to meet and they rely on rent being paid on time.

Contacting your property manager

You can contact your property manager directly by email or by contacting our office on (02) 8394 8888 and at Should you wish to visit the office to discuss any issues with a property management staff member it is important to arrange an appointment time as property management staff are frequently out of the office conducting inspections


A 4 week rental bond is a standard component of most rental contracts. The bond must be paid in advance and is held in trust until the rental agreement is ended. The bond will then be refunded, provided the property is vacated in a satisfactory state with no damage and all rent monies are paid up until vacate date.

Emergency Repairs

Emergency repairs as per the Residential Tenancy Agreement consist of the following:

  1. Burst water service
  2. Blocked or broken lavatory system
  3. Serious roof leak
  4. Gas leak
  5. Dangerous electrical fault
  6. Flooding or serious flood damage
  7. Serious storm or fire damage
  8. A failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity or water supply to the premises
  9. A failure or breakdown of any essential service on the premises for hot water
  10. Any fault or damage that causes the premises to be unsafe or not secure

Please contact your property manager by email or phone on (02) 8394 8888 or at to discuss any emergency repairs. Outside of our office hours please refer to your Residential Tenancy Agreement or Renting Guide Booklet.

Enquiry Form